Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Review of City of Commerce Flower



How do you not loveeee this centerpieces? And Duke send me home with this centerpiece and the bridesmaid bouquet and one stalk of this david austin Juliet which I looooveeee....

All in all I have been working with them probably since January. I just want to make a couple of notes for some of you who are looking for wedding florist in Los Angeles.

Pros:
1. OMG the price.... their quotes are 30-40% lower than other quotes I have received.. This is mainly because they do big volumes.. 7 to 11 weddings in a day or maybe in a weekend?
2. They are the sweetest people ever... they will send you home with free samples... the two out of four times i've gone there.. they send me home with flowers.... awww...
3. since they do sooo many weddings... they are likely to have done flower arrangement at your venue.. Eddie told me in the beginning that my venue could get windy in September so bear that in mind.. especially when doing manzanite tree/ candles etc..
4. They are very frank.. and also want you to stay in budget. Duke would told me... no you don't really need that.. save that money for something else.. people won't really notice it....

Cons:
1. they don't seem to have experience working with fancy/unusual roses? Or maybe Duke is kinda forgetful? I showed him the picture of David Austin Juliet which I said I MUST HAVE in my bouquet... He took a look at it and he said... " but that is peony".... I'm like... Mmmm.... NO.... That is garden roses... A little worrying... He told me to find out what the name of the flower , send it to him and he will get it for me.... Really really worrying.. but i did send it to him.. he called me back a couple days later to say that yes we can get it... and then afterwards when I went for my sample meeting; he did have those flowers in hand for other weddings... mm...
2. They want to keep a low budget sometimes more than i do.... Like if I said... i want dahlia/garden roses... they'll be like" ooh that cost too much..." and sometimes i just really want them..... like when i said i want this big dahlias... and theyll be like.. ooh they cost a lot.... Which is fine with me coz as my blog name says I have a champagne taste ("on a beer budget") so they help me stick to my budget....but if you have a somewhat bigger budget, i think the other florist i've met can be more creative and really create new things for you/ expand your visions...
3. They still do their proposal with pen and paper.... i love pen and paper... really.... but with multiple iteration and changing stuff... this makes me nervous !!!!! coz he'll be scratching things up from the proposal and changing it... really a little disorganized....... Makes me want to type the proposal out on excel spreadsheet and give it to them and be like.. OK you follow this okay.. Seriously i think i am really going to do it....... Among the four florist or so i've worked with, they are the only one who use pen and paper... and they have this big filing cabinet where they save your paper proposals........... MMMM........... as long as you get it right... i'm okay :) but i'm going to still print out those excel spreadsheet and be a little controlling...

Overall, I have a limited budget in flowers (taken out to a couple of my spending spree in invitation ; live event painter and the such...) so I will gladly work with them since it's 30-40% lower in prices... However.. if you have a more agreeable budget and want a more creative/attentive to detail vision.. I'd say you may want to look at those fancy flower boutique to help you build your vision...

Is there any vendors you really love eventhough you're still wedding planning?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. This will come in handy when my sister in law gets further into the planning. I thought I was very particular with blooms but you definitely know your stuff lol btw I am huge fan of cabbage roses and other garden varieties. Love the arrangement above!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahaha i loveeeee cabbage roses too.. it's the perfect shade of pink for my color... but i love the david austin juliet texture/form slightly more and can't afford another fancy roses :(

    ReplyDelete