Friday, April 5, 2013

Recipe for Kalio Chicken Curry / Ayam Kalio Padang



From here

Ingredients:

2 pounds chicken thigh with skin and bone
lime and salt
1.5 teaspoon tumeric
3 pieces kaffir lime leaves
2 lemongrass, crushed/ I cut the center white parts so that the flavour will come out
1 inch galangal, crushed / I replaced with ginger
1 ball of about 0.5" size tamarind paste (found in Asian supermarket/ Simpang Asia in LA)
400 ml coconut milk canned - fresh is preferable but who can find that in LA?
Oil

Ingredients to be grinded:
10 red chili / I used dried red chili but next time may want to do 50-50% of dried and fresh
3/4 tbs coriander whole - use less if you use ground
2 big shallots ( The shallot has to be twice the proportion of garlic cloves
4 garlic cloves
1" ginger
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cummin
5 candlenut
sugar and chicken bouillon powder to taste. I put a pinch of sugar first that I increased to 1/8 tsp later on and about 1/8 tsp chicken bouillon

1. Squeeze lime into chicken and a little bit of salt and leave it for 15 minutes
2. Put oil into a pot and sauteed the grinded spices
3. Put in kaffir lime leaf, galangal, tied-up lemongrass and tamarind paste
4. Put in chicken and half of the coconut milk and cook until chicken is cooked - about 40 minutes for my case
5. Once you see that chicken is done (you can cut one up to make sure it is not pink), add in the ground tumeric. Start with 1/2 tsp and work your way up to 1 1/2 tsp, if you'd like

OK while I think the taste is delicious, I feel like it is missing something from the authentic Kalio chicken curry that I have had in Indonesia so I will have to play around with the recipe more to test it.

No comments:

Post a Comment