Vegetarian Dan Dan Noodles
- 16 dried whole shiitake mushrooms
- 2 servings of noodles, I use Explore Asian Brown Rice udon and cook them for 5 minutes
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 inch ginger, minced (if you don't like ginger, par this down to 1 tsp)
- 2 scallions, white and green parts chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 handful dry-roasted peanuts, finely chopped. Roast raw peanuts at 375F for 15-20 minutes
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 to 2 tbs guilin chili sauce lee kum kee (so technically I think this should be sichuan chili bean paste but all I have at home is guilin chili sauce that contains chili bean paste)
- 1 teaspoon shichuan red chili peppers, grounded ( i like it spicy but par this down if you don't)
- 1/4 teaspon sugar
- 2 - 3 tbs tahini sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs chili oil
- Soak the shiitake mushrooms in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes, until softened. Drain the shiitakes and squeeze out the excess water. Finely chop them and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients as listed above.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the noodles according to package instructions. Drain the noodles. Transfer the noodles to a serving dish.
- Pour half of the sauce over the noodles and toss so the sauce until evenly distributed. Set aside.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the base and sides. Add the garlic, ginger, and scallion whites and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chopped mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, add the chinese rice wine/dry sherry. Stir in the remaining half of the sauce. Adjust the seasoning with salt if desired.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the noodles, sprinkle the chopped scallions greens and chopped peanuts on top, and serve.